By Robert Nislick

You are a Massachusetts landlord and you are trying to evict your tenants. You have already terminated their tenancy, served them with a summons and complaint, entered the case in the Housing Court or District Court, and appeared on the day of trial.

You tried your case and the court found that you are entitled to a judgment and execution for possession, or perhaps you entered into a Summary Process Agreement for Judgment with your tenants, which requires them to vacate by a certain date.

A couple of weeks pass and the tenants still have not moved out. They have no intention of leaving. In fact, the tenants want to stay even longer. The tenants file a Motion to Stay Execution. Essentially, the tenants are asking the court to give them even more time to move.

Do the tenants have any grounds for seeking more time, even though they have already lost their case?

If the eviction was a no-fault eviction, rather than an eviction for nonpayment of rent, then the court can grant the tenant a six-month stay, or if the tenant is handicapped or at least 60 years old, then the court can grant the tenant a twelve-month stay. See G. L. c. 239, § 9.

The tenant must demonstrate that he, “cannot secure suitable premises for himself and his family elsewhere within the city or town in a neighborhood similar to that in which the premises occupied by him are situated; that he has used due and reasonable effort to secure such other premises; that his application is made in good faith and that he will abide by and comply with such terms and provisions as the court may prescribe; or that by reason of other facts such action will be warranted”. See G. L. c. 239, § 10.

How can the landlord oppose the tenant’s efforts?

Let me first digress to say that, in my opinion, a landlord should always hire an attorney to handle the eviction from start to finish. I have heard way too many stories from landlords who thought they could save a few bucks by doing it themselves, only to find that they have made mistakes that cost them time and money. The experienced lawyer can anticipate obstacles that may arise, and also avoid traps for the unwary.

Primarily, the landlord will want to point out that if the eviction was brought for nonpayment of rent, the tenant is not entitled to a stay, as a matter of law. If the eviction was a no-fault eviction, however, the landlord will need to counter the tenant’s arguments that he meets the criteria for a stay.

In any event, if the court grants a stay, G. L. c. 239, § 11, requires essentially that a stay shall be conditioned upon the tenant’s depositing into court for occupation of the premises during the stay the amount he was paying for rent previously, any additional amount the court deems reasonable, and all unpaid rent prior to the stay. The statute also provides that the court to shall pay to the landlord the amounts deposited into court.

Robert Nislick is a Massachusetts landlord-tenant lawyer who practices in Boston Housing Court, Worcester Housing Court, Northeast Housing Court, Southeast Housing Court, Western Housing Court, and the summary process session of the District Court.

Leave a Reply