By Robert Nislick

You are a Massachusetts landlord. Your tenant has fallen behind on his or her rent. This puts you in a terrible position. Your profit margin as a landlord is very slim. A nonpaying tenant can lead to financial ruin for a small landlord. How can you get your tenant to pay what he or she owes you?

Don’t waste any more time. Conctact Robert Nislick, a Framingham, Massachusetts eviction attorney, today. It is understandable if you do not want to hire a lawyer. Lawyers are expensive. But keep in mind, your tenant will most likely feel a much greater urgency to pay his rent when he is in the process of being taken to court, than if you do nothing.

Assuming your tenant has a job, he or she may have to take time off from work to show up at court. It is not fun sitting and waiting for hours for your case to be called. Among other things, the mere inconvenience to the tenant may convince him of the need to start paying you the past, present, and future rent that he owes.

Quite often, after you have commenced a summary process action against your tenant, it is appropriate to enter into an agreement for judgment with him or her. This agreement will essentially say that the tenant owes you whatever amount he owes, that he agrees to pay the arrearage according to a certain repayment schedule, that he agrees to pay the rent going forward, and that if he fails to abide by the terms of the agreement, you have the right to ask the court to issue you an execution on four days notice. Moreover, this agreement becomes an order of the court.

Hopefully, your tenant will start paying you again. But if not, you can likely go back to court relatively easily to get the judge to allow you to have the tenant actually removed, without having to start the whole eviction process over again.

Framingham lawyer Robert Nislick has been admitted to practice in Massachusetts since 2005, and handles many types of cases including landlord tenant matters.  For more information, contact Robert Nislick today.

Leave a Reply