Resolving a Petition For Partition in the Massachusetts Land Court

The parties can avoid the necessity of appointing a partition commissioner.  It may be possible to reach a fair resolution.  A good agreement may include a provision whereby the parties agree to jointly retain a certain broker to market and sell the property.  The agreement may specify that each owner shall be responsible for the broker’s fees and expenses in proportion to his or her ownership interest.